Sunday, May 16, 2010

70 times 7

Before we were Christians, it was natural for us to hold grudges and be unforgiving, because that was our very nature. (Ephesians 2:2-3) As believers though, we have been set free from our unforgiving past and it no longer has to lead us about:




“Let me say this, then, speaking for the Lord: Live no longer as the unsaved do, for they are blinded and confused. Their closed hearts are full of darkness: they are far away from the life of God because they have shut their minds against him, and they cannot understand his ways. They don’t care anymore about right and wrong and have given themselves over to impure ways. They stop at nothing, being driven by their evil minds and reckless lusts. But that isn’t the way Christ taught you. If you have really heard his voice and learned from him the truths concerning himself, then throw off your old evil nature; the old you that was a partner in your evil ways- rotten through and through, full of lust and shame.
 
Now your attitudes and thoughts must all be constantly changing for the better. Yes, you must be a new and different person, holy and good. Clothe yourself with this new nature. Stop lying to each other; tell the truth, for we are hurting ourselves. If you are angry, don’t sin by nursing your grudge. Don’t let the sun go down with you still angry- get over it quickly; for when you are angry you give a mighty foothold to the devil. If anyone is stealing, he must stop it and begin using those hands of his for honest work so he can give to others in need. Don’t use bad language. Say only what is good and helpful to those you are talking to, and what will give them a blessing. Don’t cause the Holy Spirit sorrow by the way you live. Remember, he is the one who marks you to be present on that day when salvation from sin will be complete.




Stop being mean, bad-tempered and angry. Quarreling with harsh words, and dislike of others should have no place in you. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, Just as God has forgiven you because you belong to Christ.” (Ephesians 4:17-32 LB)



And that is what this study is all about; an in depth look at what the Bible says about forgiveness, and how we are Christians are called to forgive:



“Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how oft shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:21-22

Recently I have been having a hard time letting go of the hurt and the pain that we (my family) experienced months ago. I thought that I had forgiven, and I don't hold any grudges, but I am more cautious. However I can't get the pain and the hurt out of my heart. I really didn't realize how much I held on to it until  last Sunday Julie was reading out of her Bible and this is the passage she read “Then came Peter to him, and said, Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Till seven times? Jesus saith unto him, I say not unto thee, Until seven times: but, Until seventy times seven.” Matthew 18:21-22.
I haven't been able to stop thinking of that verse. Wow!
 
And then last night a friend came to me with similar hurt that we experienced. Their heart was broken and hard to forgiveness. In a weird way it opened my heart up to be able to forgive fully, and that is what I want to see for them. I don't want the same outcome that we had because that only allows the devil to win as he ALMOST did in our case.
 
We all fall short of the glory of God, but we also forgiven for each and everything when we open our own heart to forgiveness. I know the pain of not being able to forgive yourself and it's not something that you want to carry with you.
 
At the beginning of the year after all that we experienced and seen first hand in Florida I felt so strongly that God was working hard in my heart and in my life, but when we returned to Ohio it felt like that passion was gone.
 
People aren't perfect. They are going to hurt you and you hurt them, but forgiveness is so important especially when your the one forgiving. But our walk with God isn't about the people who hurt you or who you hurt. God's plan is so much more.
 
Our life experiences make us stronger for things that we will face in the future. I pray that my eyes will stop focusing on that hurt and move on to what God has called me to do. I know that it will be a tough road, but it's a road I am ready to take.
 
I want better for my children and want them to have strong faith in God. When I doubt my faith weather it be in Church, Christians, or God my children are seeing and learning that. Its easier for people to see the wrong than the right. Its easier to loose sight then to focus on Him.
 
Some of my favorite Bible verses that have been speaking to me these last few months.
 
Proverbs 3:5

5 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, and do not lean on your own understanding.
Psalm 27:1

The LORD is my light and my salvation; Whom shall I fear? The LORD is the strength of my life; Of whom shall I be afraid?

Psalm 56:3-4

When I am afraid, I will trust in you. In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me?

1 Corinthians 16:13

Be on your guard; stand firm in the faith; be men of courage; be strong.
Psalm 28:7

The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusts in Him and I am helped; therefore my heart exults, and with my song I shall thank Him.”

Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want.
He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over.
Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever.

2 comments:

Scott Smith said...

Fantastic expression of how you have been feeling! How I have been feeling. God is so good and it is amazing how the Holy Spirit intercedes with our hearts to guide us to the scriptures that our heart and soul need to forgive, and move on!

-Veronica said...

Diana, this was SO good and so encouraging! Thank you for sharing this. I am on quite a journey of forgiveness. And learning that sometimes forgiveness is a process. And really seeing first hand how forgiveness isn't so much for the person who wronged you as it is for YOU, the one forgiving....it can be so hard, and painful, and long....but SO freeing! Thank you again for writing this!